Monday, 16 September 2013

Baby Boy Card

Made this tonight for a friends recent new arrival.

The blue card is from a craft magazine gift and the sentiment, green paper & the grey backing card are from random eBay sellers. The stamped image is a Bumble Bear stamp, also from a magazine issue - I forget which. I used to buy loads 4-5 years ago when I first moved to Reading. 

I used (yet another) folding template to score around the image rather than cutting it. I've lost my paper guillotine somewhere in the transition between Reading & Swansea and I'm awful at cutting straight lines! This makes it look slightly more intentional where it wobbles a little! I think it also makes it stand out & gives a slight 3D effect. 

Sunday, 25 August 2013

Fabric Sorting

Decided to dig out my fabric collection this afternoon. I'm going to sew some giant letters & numbers, then stuff them for two little ones I have the pleasure of knowing. I found the idea here, which also has a downloadable file for the letters & numbers. One will be for a girl & the other for a boy.

I meant to make the male set first for Noah's first birthday in a fortnight but having collected my fabric I've realised I own mainly feminine colours so I'll have a bit of shopping to do first! So I'll make Olivia a set for Christmas first, while I shop for 'manly' fabrics!

After digging it all out, I thought it was only right to keep it together neatly. This box was holding my Jewellery supplies but I think this works better. So for now, I have my fat quarters & other lengths in here, along with my pincushion and my fabric scrap squares. I will make a quilt some day...!

Thursday, 4 July 2013

The Knitting Goddess

I properly love The Knitting Goddess. The colours are just fantastic, I can always pick out skeins of hers. I treated myself to two mini skein packs on Tuesday as a birthday present to myself.

This is the May mini skein club pack, which has 7 skeins in lovely soft, light & summery colours. My blanket has a tendency to get darker in some areas, so I'm hoping these will help balance it out.

Last but not least is this 7 skein pack of 'charcoal rainbow' which predictably is the colours of the rainbow with dark grey & charcoal running through it. I can't wait to ball these up & knit them into my sock yarn blanket over the next few days.

(It's a crap photo but I've noticed all of a sudden that my blanket is actually noticeably bigger & has grown now. It's a nice feeling but it's already taken two years to get to this stage and I'm not even 20% of the way there!)

I think these are maybe my 4 or 5th packs from The Knitting Goddess. I have several 'full size' 100g sock skeins, plus lots & lots of mini skeins. You can buy the mini skeins in packs like above, or individually for £1.50. I'd recommend trying some, the colours are just beautiful. (I'm not affiliated in any way with The Knitting Goddess, just a fan of several years!)

Monday, 20 May 2013

Zipper issues

In a bizarre way, I've lost the zip I originally bought for my skirt. I ripped my shoddy seams from my first attempt at sewing it in & placed it with my skirt. Then we had the mouse episode - which sadly killed off sourdough cultures Ted & Sophie as there was faeces around the slightly ajar jars & I wasn't willing to risk it.

Then somepoint between moving everything to try & catch the mouse, then tidiying everything afterwards, I lost the zip. I bought another from Shaw's on Friday but its sticking a bit once fully zipped up. Its the only one I have in that colour but I have another in a larger size I may use if soaping the zip doesn't work.

I pinned in a 6inch zipper replacement on Friday evening. I've tried to place it as a concealed zip but since seeing a tutorial on lapped zippers not too long ago (link when I'm on my lappy & not in bed on my phone!) I think I might try a lapped zip instead.

Bring on my birthday!! I asked Craig for a sewing book which will be very much appreciated!

Thursday, 9 May 2013

Heeling Synesthesia

Awful picture, but just a quick snap of a freshly turned heel. Yellow colour is from the strip light in my placement accommodation. See previous post for the true colours!

I'm really enjoying knitting this :-)

Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Ladies Night


Just a quick post. My friends & I are doing a moonlit walk around Cardiff on Saturday to raise money for Tenovus. I was walking past a charity shop months ago & decided it would be a cool thing to do. If anyone is willing to spare some change, I'd be incredibly grateful as would those who directly benefit from the good work the charity does in cancer research.

Even £1 would be a big help.

Thank you,


Monday, 6 May 2013

Synesthesia Socks

Synesthesia - an interesting neurological condition where the senses become a little mixed up. For example, someone might hear music and see colours. I noticed a free pattern called Synesthesia on Ravelry in 2010 and saved it. It's been languishing in my favourites list ever since.

However since rediscovering a skein of Sugar Hippo from a month or so back, the beautiful colours & sheen were playing on my mind so I wanted to use it as my next project after I finished my exams. I happily (& successfully!) completed my CT practical assessment on Friday, so I spent the weekend relaxing and am feeling much happier about starting a new project now. I know from years of experience, I start projects as distractions and procrastination devices.

I proudly present synesthesia:

The sheen is just gorgeous. It's a 75% merino & 25% silk blend so I'll have to be careful when washing it. I don't want this to ever felt. 

I'm really enjoying knitting with it so far and the pattern is easy to memorise. It'll become 'mindless' after a few more rounds I think. Perfect for lunchtime knitting! I love the colours of the yarn as well, especially as each round of knitting is producing differently coloured stitches - makes counting rows a breeze!